Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Thu Mar 28, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Greetings from Hurricane Row

- Post Reply -
Page [1] 2 >>

soupershape
msg: 1

Sat, Sep 18, 2004, 10:10am

Considering a move from FL to AZ....Scottsdale/Phoenix. Born and raised in the Southeast....the Southwest will be a BIG change for us. What's great, what's not about living in AZ.

All feedback is truly appreciated.
NickCoons
msg: 2

Sat, Sep 18, 2004, 2:03pm

soupershape,

Being a native Arizonan, my feedback might be biased in favor of Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

, because I love this place so much. On the other hand, my feedback might also be based on fact :-).

Arizona is a great place to live.. other than the occasional dust storm and monsoon
Monsoon(mo'n-SOON)

A season in Arizona of high winds and moisture, normally during July, August, and September. The Arizona Monsoon begins officially after the third consecutive day of the dew point reaching 55 degrees or higher, indicating higher humidity. During the monsoon, dust storms are typical, and rainfall is increased, causing flash floods.

, there really aren't any natural disasters. Forest fires are common over the summer, but not anywhere near Phoenix.

You'll find that the weather is a lot drier. On the surface, the lack of humidity would seem much more comfortable and enjoyable during the hotter months. And it is. However, it's also more dangerous, and it's hard for newcomers to tell when they are overheating or dehydrating.. the symptoms are not obvious. So make sure you keep hydrated when spending outside. Plus, my wife says that the lack of humidity is great for her hair.

We have over 300 days of sunshine each year. To avoid the heat, summer months should either be spent indoors or up in the northern country. Winters are very mild.
soupershape
msg: 3

Sat, Sep 18, 2004, 2:51pm

many, many thanks for your feedback. Hubby is an artist (painting, sculpture) and I am a fitness trainer and author. From what we have seen we think that AZ would be a great place to be.

Planning a trip to Scottsdale during the Thanksgiving week (after hurricane season), to see what's available.

Any recommendations ????
NickCoons
msg: 4

Sat, Sep 18, 2004, 8:10pm

soupershape,

The weather is starting to get back down to double-digits, and the monsoon
Monsoon(mo'n-SOON)

A season in Arizona of high winds and moisture, normally during July, August, and September. The Arizona Monsoon begins officially after the third consecutive day of the dew point reaching 55 degrees or higher, indicating higher humidity. During the monsoon, dust storms are typical, and rainfall is increased, causing flash floods.

is over, so I think you should be fairly comfortable. Scottsdale is pretty large land-wise, so trying to cover it all could be time-consuming.

What kind of recommendations are you looking for (places to sleep, eat, visit, things to buy, houses to look at, etc)?
soupershape
msg: 5

Sun, Sep 19, 2004, 7:47am

we're on a mission to find our next home. We are searching for a community that embraces the visual arts, alternative health and wellness. If you could recommend any communities for us to investigate, we would be forever grateful.

blessings,
Coach Deb
St. Pete, FL

Page [1] 2 >>

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map