Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Tue Apr 23, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
cquinn01

- Post Reply -

cquinn01
msg: 1

Wed, Nov 17, 2004, 2:55am

My husband and I have wanted to move to Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

for some time. We are both Amateur photographers. We are both in the IT field. I have a teenage son (15) who would be moving with us. I have found that the IT jobs are few and far between and the wages are lower then here in Ohio. However, the cost of living appears to be higher. My son goes to a very good school here in Ohio. It's rank number one in the state. I am worried about moving him to schools in the Phoenix area. I have looked at the school reports and none of the schools grades appear to come any where near the ohio school he is presently in. My husband worries about gangs, drugs and voilence in the schools. The school reports don't say anything about these. I am hoping some honest person who lives in arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

and who has teenage kids will respond to this. We would love to move to arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

, it's been our dream for some time now.

Also a recruiter recommended the Awuhtukee area to me for living. There is only one high school in that area Desert Vista. I am hoping that someone who has a child at this school could answer some questions regarding the school.

Hope to make our dream come true soon.
cquinn
kmcewen
msg: 2

Wed, Nov 17, 2004, 12:24pm

Hi there,
I was a teacher for five years and last year taught high school. There are areas where there are gangs. But.... if you live in a suburb, it's really not a problem.
I was at a high school in the Peoria school district and gangs were not a problem. Although Peoria High school, which is in the Peoria school district, might have a few gang members. It's all in the area of town you live in.

Arizona doesn't have the best school system but it is imiproving. To tell you the negative, it is in the bottom for student spending and because of the transient population, drop out rates are higher. If a college prep is more your style, check out Brophy High School. In my opinion, Kyrene, Peoria, Gilbert and Chandler all have good schools.
Check out the Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

Department of Ed website as well.
The east valley, Gilbert, Awhatukee and Chandler, tends to have more IT jobs.
Hope that helps.
Kristen

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map