Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Thu Mar 28, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
More of the same ?'s

- Post Reply -

mrchill76
msg: 1

Sun, Jan 2, 2005, 4:03pm

I am from Baltimore,MD an do not like the cold @ all !! With that being said I am looking for a warmer climate to move to and have chose the Phoenix are to look because my company has an office there that I can relocate to. The problem is that I know absolutley nothing about Phoenix or even Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

for that matter . I do not know where to even begin to look. I am going to be looking to rent a house for a year or so @ first. What areas should I stay away from when looking for a house ? What should I expect to be different from the northeast as far as living conditions ? How far out of Phoenix can you go without being in the middle of no where ? I would like to be withen 1/2 hours drive of Phoenix. I know I am asking alot but I really have no clue . Thank you for your help in advance.
NickCoons
msg: 2

Sun, Jan 2, 2005, 10:02pm

<The problem is that I know absolutley nothing about Phoenix or even Arizona.>

There's an easy answer to that.. visit!

<I do not know where to even begin to look. I am going to be looking to rent a house for a year or so @ first.>

If you do plan a trip here, there are local publications that you can pick up with all sorts of rental information in them. Most of them are for apartments. You can also check with a realtor or even drive around in areas where you might want to live and look for "for rent" signs.

<What areas should I stay away from when looking for a house ?>

The Phoenix metro area is huge, so this long list of places not to live in is going to seem big, but it's a small amount of places compared to the places not listed.

The city of Phoenix is divided into 14 urban villages. In my opinion, you'd want to avoid living in Maryvale and South Mountain
South Mountain(so'wth MAWN-ti'n)

Serving as the "exclamation point" of pride, South Mountain is the largest municipal park in the world. The 16,500-acre park is home to more than 300 species of plant life and a variety of fauna, including rabbits, foxes, coyotes, snakes, lizards and birds.

Village (not to be confused with South Mountain
South Mountain(so'wth MAWN-ti'n)

Serving as the "exclamation point" of pride, South Mountain is the largest municipal park in the world. The 16,500-acre park is home to more than 300 species of plant life and a variety of fauna, including rabbits, foxes, coyotes, snakes, lizards and birds.

). Other areas that have both good and bad would be Central City and Encanto.

Outside of Phoenix, you'll probably want to stay away from the areas of Glendale that are closest to Phoenix, the half-mile radius surrounding Apache Blvd. and McClintock Dr. in Tempe, and either a mile north or south of Main St. in Mesa between Dobson and Lindsay.

I know it sounds like a lot, but it's actually a very small total area.

<What should I expect to be different from the northeast as far as living conditions ?>

I can't really say.. never having been to the east coast myself. But the summers are very hot, spring and fall are pretty hot, and winter is mild.

<How far out of Phoenix can you go without being in the middle of no where ?>

Very far :-). Development is happening quickly. If I gave you an answer now, it would be obsolete by the time you got here.

<I would like to be withen 1/2 hours drive of Phoenix.>

A 1/2 hour drive to where in Phoenix? I'm a 1/2 hour drive to east Phoenix, but I'm an hour and a half drive to northwest Phoenix.
AZSNOWSTORM
msg: 3

Mon, Jan 3, 2005, 1:21pm

I am from the mrchill76's area & agree w/ all the info. in the 1st reply. Visit is very important. I plan to retire in 3 years outside of metro Phoenix. I have done my visiting and trying to negotiate on property now. If I don't start now, I won't be able to afford it later. With the values today, what I buy in 3 years should be worth a fortune!
NickCoons
msg: 4

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 2:10pm

<With the values today, what I buy in 3 years should be worth a fortune!>

Be careful with that. The real estate values are increasing too quickly.. and within the next few years it's going to come crashing down. What will most likely happen is that appreciation will flatline (which means that the property values will stop increasing and just sit for awhile) , and owners will have loans that they can't afford anymore, so properties will start to go into foreclosure and it will be a buyer's market.

Stay away from adjustable rates if you plan to own for more than three years, because when this happens you likely won't be able to sell. If you're looking to retire, then this won't be a problem.. you'll just want to make sure that you get a nice comfortable fixed rate that you can be sure you'll always be able to make the payments.
AZSNOWSTORM
msg: 5

Tue, Jan 4, 2005, 5:41pm

I hear 'ya.
'76 here was a year like you're talking about.
Made it good that year. Banks didn't want to loan money to build, so I bought instead.
I never take an adjustable rate and try not keep a house longer than 3 years. In '04 purchased three specific houses knowing that a new sub-division & 2 new schools would be in my backyard (literally). In one year our value has more than doubled. That's all I need on each house to pay cash for the retirement home.

Ps, I like this message board. Soft colors easy on the eyes after a long day at work.

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map