Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Tue Apr 16, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Proscpective resident
scorpions

- Post Reply -
Page [1] 2 >>

Becca
msg: 1

Mon, Feb 28, 2005, 5:18am

Hi all,

My husband is applying for a job in Suprise, AZ. We have lived in Virginia all of our lives and have only seen scorpions on the Discovery Channel. Just in case he does get the job, I want to be prepared if we do end up moving to Surprise. I have two small dogs, and friends here say that I should get a cat if we move there because otherwise the scorpions will kill my dogs. My dogs are my babies, and I'm really freaked out by this, any advice? I am allergic to cats, so that really isn't an option unless it lived outside which I dont think is fair for the poor cat. Also, does anyone know anything about the Surprise area? I heve never even been to Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

and have lived on the East Coast all my life. Any information you can provide would be a great help.

Thanks,

Rebecca
NickCoons
msg: 2

Mon, Feb 28, 2005, 12:59pm

Scorpions tend to be a popular issue on these forums, and a popular concern of new residents. I'd recommend that you go through and read some of the past threads for lots of very useful information on the subject.

Regarding the Surprise area, well, if you've never been to Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

, that could be difficult to explain. I'd highly recommend that you visit here for awhile. The weather is beautiful this time of year, and probably will be for about another month before it starts to get too warm.. and then it'll be hot through September. This applies to the entire Phoenix metro area, not just Surprise.
astoffel
msg: 3

Fri, Mar 4, 2005, 4:57am

Becca,
I saw your post about scorpions. I am an Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

Native, and we have only ever had 1 scorpion that I could ever remember. While they are usually something we look out for, they are not as rampant as you may think. Obviously there are areas that are more prone, and certainly some landscaping conditions create good habitats for them. As for cats (we have 3), I have talkted to our vets about cats and scorpions, and they tell me there's no real proof to that theory. So if you're allergic to cats, don't get one just for scorpions.
<snip>
Andrea

[edited by: NickCoons, reason: No email addresses or URL dropping. ]
Becca
msg: 4

Mon, Mar 7, 2005, 6:05am

Thanks all. My husband just got back from Surprise, and absolutely loved it. He took pictures for me, and it looks SO nice out there. We haven't heard anything from the job yet, but he has a 1 in 5 chance, so I'm crossing my fingers. I've even picked out a house I want to build out there if he gets the job. It is in "Meadows at Bell West Ranch". Anone heard of that development? The builder is Standard Pacific Homes, anyone heard of them? Also, the houses come with "pest tubes in-wall pest defense system". Anyone know what that is? Thanks in advance for your replies.
kmcewen
msg: 5

Mon, Mar 7, 2005, 11:07pm

I am familiar with the subdivision. It is west of the 303 freeway (which in the far future will be an interstate) Homes range from 1270 - 2872 square feet and range in price from $168- 245. I believe Elliot homes also built there. I would also suggest another community set to open in Surprise called Marley Park. I know I am not allowed to solicit here, but I don't work for them. Do a google search and their website will come out. It looks like it will be a very nice community as well. Surprise is growing like crazy. Many of the home builders are on wait lists and build time can be lengthy, about 10 -12 months. If you aren't moving for awhile, it may be a good idea to come on down and visit some of the builders and see if you can get a home, then gain equity while you are planning your move.

Page [1] 2 >>

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map