Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Tue Apr 23, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Fiberglass or Gunite???

- Post Reply -

WintatYuma
msg: 1

Wed, Mar 16, 2005, 1:23pm

We are installing an ingroung pool. Our 1st decision is to go with a fiberglass pool or a gunite pool? All advice is welcome. If you have had both please mention that in your response.
AZSNOWSTORM
msg: 2

Fri, Mar 18, 2005, 1:48pm

I will be buying b/w Phoenix & Tucson shortly & have been looking at houses w/out a pool knowing that eventually I'll end up putting one in. I thank you for posting that question, b/c not once have I even thought about material. All I've given thought to these past couple months has been soil conditions.

Mind if I ask roughly what county/town the pool will be in? I'm trying to figure out, with the different types of soil conditions, what is the average depth of an inground? How much of the pool actually ends up being above ground? I am assuming too, that soil conditions dictate the dimensions of the pool, width/length? I've pulled the zoning/building requirements for pools in the areas I am looking to buy in. Seems straight up, but interested in any redtape, laws, rules, . . that I might not know about.
NickCoons
msg: 3

Fri, Mar 18, 2005, 7:22pm

Based on what I've seen over the past couple of decades...

<what is the average depth of an inground?>

Most older pools that I've noticed have been 8-9 feet deep while the newer ones tend to be 5-6 feet. I think this is personal preference, however, as you'd want at least 8 feet if it is to be a diving pool.

<How much of the pool actually ends up being above ground?>

Usually all of it ends up being below ground, unless it's specifically an above-ground pool. The top of the pool is the deck, and I suppose the deck can be a few inches above ground-level, but not usually much more. I have seen some pools that are a foot or two above ground level.

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map