Arizona Paths is the most complete all about Arizona site, with tourist and tourism information, statistics, weather and climate, maps, business directory listings, and history and culture.

Sign In

Sat Apr 20, 2024

Forums

Welcome, Guest!
Forums Home
Tex-Mex Has Nothing On Us

- Post Reply -

csaenz
msg: 1

Sun, Jun 4, 2006, 9:16pm

Tex-Mex Has Nothing On Us
by Nick Coons

Read the article. Your experience with Tex-Mex is not authentic. There is a difference in authentic Mexican food and Tex-Mex. The difference is Tex-Mex restaurants are mainly opened by franchises (Serrano’s, Manuels, Garcias). Bad food. Infact awful. Next time, go to El Paso, Texas where there are no franchise Mexican restaurants. Go to the Lunch Box, Albas or any restaurant along Alameda st, or just ask the locals. Hell, the food at Lone Star Golf Course is better than any AZ food shack. Another plus is that Juarez, Mexico is around 5 minutes away. Now that is Mexican Food.
NickCoons
msg: 2

Mon, Jun 5, 2006, 7:57am

<Your experience with Tex-Mex is not authentic. There is a difference in authentic Mexican food and Tex-Mex.>

I wasn't claiming any authenticity between Tex-Mex and "real" Mexican food. My claim was that the hype about Mexican food being the best in Texas is overrated, and the Mexican food here in Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

is much better.

<The difference is Tex-Mex restaurants are mainly opened by franchises (Serrano’s, Manuels, Garcias). Bad food. Infact awful.>

Serrano's isn't a franchise, they're a locally owned family restaurant. In fact, I believe they started out as a clothing store in Chandler back in the 60's :-). They actually happen to be one of my favorites. I would classify their food more as Sonoran style Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

<Next time, go to El Paso, Texas where there are no franchise Mexican restaurants. Go to the Lunch Box, Albas or any restaurant along Alameda st, or just ask the locals. Hell, the food at Lone Star Golf Course is better than any AZ food shack. Another plus is that Juarez, Mexico is around 5 minutes away. Now that is Mexican Food.>

I've had real Mexican food made by friends who are real Mexicans :-). And it is good! Again, I wasn't necessarily looking for a replica of the food they serve in Mexico. I was told that Texas had the best Mexican food in the country, and I tried to substantiate that claim while I was there. However, I couldn't.. nothing that I had came anywhere near what we have here in Arizona
Arizona(air-i'-ZON-u')

The State of Arizona comprises the extreme south-western portion of the United States. It is bounded on the north by Utah, on the east by New Mexico, on the south by Mexico, and on the west by California and Nevada.

csaenz
msg: 3

Tue, Jun 6, 2006, 8:08pm

My misunderstanding. My wife and I have had a real hard time adjusting to the AZ flavor. We also don’t like the taste of Mexican food or Tex-Mex west of El Paso. I guess it’s just home.
senorcampbell
msg: 4

Wed, Jul 19, 2006, 5:05pm

Try the "roach coach" that typically is parked at Chandler Blvd. and Ithaca (just a few blocks east of downtown). Now, they have authentic mexican food...TACOS DE CABEZA, CARNITAS, etc...Any time I pass that rig, there is usally a few mexicans buying some, a true sign of authenticity.

©Copyright 2001-2009, Arizona Paths
Glossary Site Map